Sunday, July 10, 2011

Anti-cancer diet (for real this time)

Thus far my self-proclaimed anti-cancer diet has gotten off to a very wimpy start.  Some online research has made me realize that I've really developed some bad food habits -- I have a serious sugar addiction, I eat more fried food than I'd like to admit, I don't drink enough water, etc., etc.  I love eating fresh fruits and veggies, always have, but I've noticed that whatever we buy on the weekends lasts us to about Wednesday, and then our fruit/veggie intake seriously nosedives for the rest of the week. 

I've always thought that I could get away with a so-s diet because I work out and am within the healthy weight range for my height.  However, something caused me to get cancer.  Whatever that cause(s) may have been I'll probably never know.  What I can do, though, is take charge of what I feed my body going forward for 2 reasons: 1) to make sure I am as strong as possible to fight this cancer, and 2) to do what I can to make sure cancer doesn't rear its ugly head again.

That being said, I'm still me -- I will still eat candy, ice cream, french fries, and other "bad foods."  What I am trying to do now is incorporate as many "superfoods" into my diet and try to take a little bit better care of myself.  (Example -- I think I bought out half of the produce section at the grocery store yesterday!) 

Here are some of the major superfoods (and my dad will be pleased that meat is on the list!):
  • Walnuts: rich in omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts have been studied for their action against many cancers, most specifically breast cancer. They also contain compounds that stop hardening of the arteries, a precursor to heart disease.

  • Prunes: no longer your grandmother’s morning-starter, prunes are loaded with antioxidants concentrated by the drying process. And yes, they do promote digestion and detox, too.

  • Pomegranate Juice:  it’s packed with antioxidants that mop up the free radicals that cause cancer. Recent studies have shown that pomegranate juice can lower bad LDL cholesterol and flush plaque from arteries, too.

  • Tomatoes in soup, juice, sauce: no other food is as rich in lycopene, a phytochemical known to fight all types of cancer, but specifically prostate, breast, lung and colon cancer.

  • Blueberries and Cranberries: All berries are packed with antioxidants, but blueberries are most potent of all, while cranberries have been found in studies to be particularly protective against ovarian cancer.  The anthocyanosides in blueberries are currently the most powerful antioxidants known to scientists and are beneficial in the prevention of all types of cancer.

  • Broccoli and Other Cruciferous Vegetables (cauliflower, cabbage, kale): Those strong flavors are there for a reason; they come from sulphur compounds that have a strong cancer-protective action. One study found that men who ate brocolli four times a week stopped early prostate tumors from growing.

  • Edamame: Soybeans contain a phytoestrogen called genistein that protects against hormone-dependent cancers. And edamame, the fresh form of soy, are easy to eat as a snack.

  • Chicken: Lean chicken meat, served sparingly, packs a protein punch without the artery-blocking fats present in red meat. And if it’s organic and free-range, it means chickens haven’t been given feed that artificially stimulates growth with hormones. And they’ve been treated better, too.

  • Garlic: Garlic contains a number of compounds believed to slow or stop the growth of tumors. One such compound, diallyl disulfide, appears to be especially potent in protecting against skin, colon, and lung cancer, though it is not known exactly how it functions.

  • Beans: Beans contain a number of phytochemicals, which have been shown to prevent or slow genetic damage to cells. While this makes beans beneficial for helping to reduce your risk of many types of cancer, specific research has suggested they are especially potent in preventing prostate cancer. As an added bonus, the high fiber content of beans has been connected with a lower risk of digestive cancers.

  • Grapes: Grapes and wine contain a chemical called resveratrol, which has been shown to be a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. Resveratrol is thought to work by preventing cell damage before it begins. Red and purple grapes are the richest sources of resveratrol.  You know what that means -- red wine!

  • Green Tea (decaf): Green tea is a rich source of a class of flavonoids known as catechins. Laboratory studies have shown that the catechins present in green tea are able to slow or prevent the development of cancer in colon, liver, breast, and prostate cells.

  • Dark Green Leafy Vegetables: Leafy-green vegetables-like romaine lettuce, mustard greens, chicory, and Swiss chard-are rich sources of antioxidants called carotenoids. These compounds scavenge dangerous free radicals from the body before they can promote cancer growth. The vegetables are also rich in folate, a vitamin shown to reduce the risk of lung and breast cancer.


Keep an eye out for recipes utilizing lots of these peace-out-cancer-superfoods.

1 comment:

jdoughe3 said...

The kale salad at Whole Foods (with craisins, pine nuts, lemon juice) is amazing.

Kale is in your leafy greens category and Anne and I have come to love it. We buy that salad in the prepared section all the time - it gets even better if you let it soak in the lemon juices for a day or two in the fridge.

My favorite lunch wrapped up in a tortilla with a beer in the sunshine.

Yum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...