Thursday, July 7, 2011

Medical updates

Today is July 7th, and surgery didn't happen today.  We decided it would be best to consult with a plastic surgeon before surgery to be able to fully consider the options.  Surgery is now scheduled for August 2. 

My plastic sugery consultation is July 14.  I keep going back and forth between the mastectomy + reconstruction and the lumpectomy.  Decisions, decisions.

The BIG good news, though, is ... NO GENE MUTATION!  Wahoo!  The BRCA mutation would have put me at a drastially higher risk of future breast cancer over time, and would have also meant that my family members would also have the possibility of that same high risk.  So now the double mastectomy is off the table (thank goodness) and we can sleep a little easier at night knowing that this whole thing is just a fluke.

I'm feeling a bit rebellious in response to the estrogen/progesterone-positive results from a week or two back -- I don't want to do the hormone therapy, and I'm also not so interested in chemo, either.  Charlie keeps reminding me that the most important objective for us right now is making sure that I'm ok.  We're just going to have to wait and see how this whole thing plays out.

Oh, and we also got our first "bill" today -- $4100 for the genetic test!  Luckily our amount was $0.  Gotta love good health insurance.  Now Charlie really can say that I'm expensive, even if we aren't picking up the bill for all of this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirsten,
You're path sounds very familiar to mine. If you'd like to talk some of your options over with me I'll be a good listener and share my perspective!
Aunt Mary

The Dougherty Clan said...

Whatever you decide to do, it will be the right thing. You're smart, you're getting good advice and we admire you so much. Loved seeing your wonderful smile and I can't wait to see you again and wrap my arms around your cancer-free body!

Kids miss you tons and can't wait for our chicago sleepover. I am just so grateful we had a little time together - as Seamus said you're "lookin' really good!"

XOXOXO
A

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...