Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Back to reality

Having cancer, as it turns out, is weird.  Especially when statistically you shouldn't have it.  When I was first diagnosed I just assumed I would take a leave of absence from work and it would consume the next few months of my life.  But I've learned that life goes on: I'm going to continue working as much as possible (my goal is to still make my billable hours requirement for the year!), cancer doesn't dominate most of my conversations, I still (am supposed) to work out, etc.  In a lot of ways it's easy to feel like life is totally normal, but going back to work this week has made me realize that in some ways my life is quite different.  I worked 6 hours yesterday instead of 12.  Today I was a nervous wreck in a deposition because I had to "ignore" a call from a number that I could only assume was from a hospital (it seems that all of the 312 numbers I don't recognize are all from hospitals these days).  I also got the receptor test results back today, so I was distracted all day thinking about the consequences.  The adjustment back to work has been tougher than I thought it would be, mostly because it never occurred to me there would be a transition back. 

So the test results ... from what I understand, whatever the tumor tests positive for is basically what is fueling the growth of the tumor.  They test for estrogen, progesterone, and something call Her2.  Mine tested positive for estrogen and progesterone and negative for Her2.  It turns out this is both good and bad; good because it means that there are well-established treatments for my particular type of tumor that are extremely effective and make recurrence/new cancer much less likely.  BUT those same treatments equal bad news for having a family.

I think I've handled this whole thing pretty well, in no small part because of my amazing supportive family and friends, but the prospect of possibly not having kids of my own is a scary one.  I likely won't meet with my oncologist until mid-August, but I'm looking forward to having a better understanding of what in the world all of this means!

Late night working/blogging in these cute socks I forgot I had :)


This is one of the favorite cards I've received ... I have a very crafty sister!

This is another favorite.  It recounted a very funny lunch involving a law school professor and a squirrel.  Laughing ensued.

Also, thanks to James Dougherty, computer extraordinaire, I think I've fixed the commenting problem.  Let me know if you still having problems.

5 comments:

The Dougherty Clan said...

We love you. Can't wait to see you this weekend. I think transitioning is one of the hardest things we do in life - making these unpredictable decisions, facing the outcomes, moving on to the next step in our lives - it can all be scary stuff.

But you've already shown that cancer, while a formidable opponent, will wither away in the shadow of your optimism and your resolve to emerge with a healthy body and a family all your own. You'll decide how to get there, how to take all the little and big steps forward (and we'll all be here to support you), but I have no doubt that you'll arrive, happy and stronger than ever.

jdoughe3 said...

Wow. A blog shout out that included the word "extraordinaire". Yet another reason to love Kirsten.

More biceps.

Anonymous said...

Kirsten-We are in awe of your courage, strength, and beauty!We are thinking of you and praying for you often!
Love-
Kelly, Jason, Evelyn, and Emma

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirsten. We have not met, but I adore your mom! My thoughts and prayers have been, and will continue to be, with you and Charlie and your whole family. It must all be very scary, but try to take it one day at a time. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11. The Lord does not always save us from hardship, but He ALWAYS walks with us through the valley.

Keep fighting like crazy!

Lisa M.

Matt W said...

Hey sister, glad to see the blog, writing about your way thoughts can be very therapeutic. You are a champ and there isn't anyone stronger to take on this challenge and conquer it! Love you lots!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...