Friday, June 24, 2011

I thought I deserved a sticker

Or at least I did until today.  I met with the genetics counselor yesterday and decided to go ahead with the BCRA screening, which unfortunately requires a vial of blood.  Even more unfortunately, the vial was quite large.  When I was in 7th grade I got mono and had to get regular blood tests, or at least they seemed regular.  They were usually very dramatic and involved more than one puking and/or near-fainting episode.  Needless to say, since then I have avoided blood tests at all costs.  I got the all too familiar rapid heartbeat and clammy hands sitting in that chair and was sure the lightheadedness was right around the corner.  But the nurse took the needle out, put the bandage on, and I felt fine.  And confused about feeling fine.  The lab techs looked at me funny when I said I deserved a sticker for taking it like a champ, but hey -- the last time I was in that situation was in a pediatrician's office, which just so happened to be quite generous with stickers and suckers. 

Today I had my MRI, which I wasn't too worried about -- I've had one before, so I was prepared for the noisy, claustrophobic 30 minutes.  What I wasn't prepared for, or warned about, was another blood sample and IV.  An IV is one thing I've never expericed, and let me tell you, it was awful.  The blood sample was no big deal (I'm like a real grown up!), but the IV nearly killed me.  The nurse gave me cold packs and cold water to keep me from passing out.  I was sweating so profusely I was sure I was going to sweat through both of the 2 gowns I was wearing.  I'm pretty confident in my "mind over matter" abilities, but it took all I had to talk myelf out of passing out and causing a scene.  After I recovered from the IV, the MRI itself was just fine.

Even though I handled the 2 blood samples no problem, the IV was such a close call that I think we'll call it a draw: Kirsten 2, needles 2. 

Post-blood sample #1

Post-blood sample #2

Watch out for the guns, they'll getcha

Me with my homemade sticker since grown-up doctors apparently don't have them

1/2 smiley face (for yesterday), 1/2 frowny face (for today)

3 comments:

Cathy Schneeman said...

Kirsten - thank you for writing this blog! We are thinking of you and Charlie, and it's really neat to be able to follow along with your experience....much love from the Chris & Cathy Schneemans XOXO

Terry Johnson said...

You are hilarious! I laughed out loud...not at your pain, but at your interpretation of the whole experience. Your mom must have 1000s of extra stickers she could send your way.

kellyanne said...

You are such a champ and I am so, so proud of you my dear! I have to admit that I am a bad one when it comes to blood and needles as well. I often faint at the sight of a needle. Recently I had my blood taken at the doctor and after 2 ice packs, a juice box and scooby-doo graham crackers, I was okay. :) You should have gotten a big sticker that says I am awesome!! :) You are a rockstar and I am saying prayers for you every day. Cannot wait to see you this weekend! Big hug coming you way! - Kelly Klein

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...