Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Diet is back on track

I suppose calling it a "diet" is misleading.  I am by no means on a diet or any sort of eating restrictions (except the normal pregnancy "do not eat" list), but I am finally feeling well enough to start re-implementing some of those great anti-cancer foods.  The hubs is in DC for work this week so I am on my own for dinner.  Even though I am out of the woods in terms of the horrendous morning sickness I experienced in weeks 5-14, most days I still don't exactly want to eat anything like I want to be eating to give this baby good, healthy fuel for all that growing he/she has to do.  I may or may not have ordered pizza last night ...

Tonight, however, I was feeling extraordinarily motivated to eat healthy.  Since it's been entirely too long since I've been back in Albuquerque, I'm definitely missing me some New Mexican food.  These factors led me to green chile black bean enchiladas!

The green chile, the black beans, the tomato and avocado just hit the spot.  The best thing about this is that it's totally customizable depending on what you have on hand or what you're in the mood for.  And how cute is that personal dish??  It's always fun to get to use wedding gifts!

Green chile black bean enchiladas
Filling:
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • handful of baby spinach
  • 2 tbsp chopped green chile
  • 4 grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • lime juice
  • salt & pepper to taste
4 tortillas (whole wheat are best, but we only had the good old-fashioned kind)
Your favorite enchilada sauce
Shredded cheese

Combine filling in bowl.  Spread enough of the enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of the pan (I think 8x8 would work best).  Fill each tortilla with 1/4 of the filling and roll up.  Arrange rolled tortillas in pan and cover with more enchilada sauce (how much is up to you).  Cover with foil and bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese.  Return to oven uncovered for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

I made only 2 enchiladas (I may be extra hungry these days, but not that hungry!).  I saved the remaining 1/2 of the filling for a yummy dinner tomorrow night :)  Isn't that one lonely looking tomato on top?

Like I said, this recipe is very flexible and you can put just about anything in there that you've got a hankering for: shredded chicken, butternut squash, zucchini, pinto beans ... the possibilities are almost endless. 

Perhaps this is the start of a beautiful, healthy preggers diet ...

3 comments:

Natalie Bennett said...

Looks delicious. You have inspired me to try to cook one of these nights ;)

jdoughe3 said...

Take those ingredients and a spoon and you don't even need to cook. Love it, K!

P.S. More biceps.

Ali said...

i can't believe this is my first comment, but i have caught up with the past couple posts of yours & CONGRATULATIONS C & K!! i can't wait to meet baby g :) keep fighting girl, your words are inspiring.

also, on another note, can i come visit you guys sometime soon? where are you again? i still live in evanston & would love to come spend some time catching up! let me know! my email is ali.schneeman@gmail.com

will keep the prayers coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...